Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Zumba has brought me PEACE

As you know by now I am a terrible blogger and I rarely post anything new but today I have to write about how Zumba has helped me make peace with myself and my body. It probably comes as no surprise that being in the fitness industry there is a lot of pressure to be or look a certain way and since I started teaching in 2006 I have struggled to find a healthy balance for myself as I navigate my way in this business. That is where Zumba comes in. In 2008 I started teaching Zumba and it completely revolutionized the way I think about my body. For once it was a good thing to have a booty (all the more to shake and throw around when you dance) for once i was proud of my hips and my well-endowed chest, which in kickboxing had been nothing but a nuisance. I started seeing my body differently...not so negatively. I love watching people come to Zumba for the first time. I love watching their faces in surprise at all the shapes, sizes, sex, colors, and types of people that are in the class. I love watching them in disbelief the first time they hear people yell out when we start shaking it a lot and everybody just gets so into it.
And that is why Zumba has changed my perspective on fitnesss, and life. Here is the sacred Zumba secret (according to me): There will always be somebody who is a better dancer than me, skinnier than me, nicer clothes than me etc. but in a good Zumba class somehow that all disintegrates and fades away and everyone is equal, all there to ditch the workout and join the party!!! So thank you Zumba Gods for helping little old me see things a little more clearly...

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Allison, we don't know each other, but how can I join your classes? I've never done Zumba or ANY dance before. I'm not really overweight but I'm very unfit and I need something that won't shatter the little confidence I have in the fitness area... Ü I just want to be healthy and exersize and have fun, too. What do you suggest? Thanks, Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiffany I teach at both Golds Gym and 24 Hour Fitness in the Provo/Orem Area...you can come today and try a zumba class for free at Golds gYm in orem if you want...text me or call me at 801-920-5365 so I can leave a pass at the front for you :) You MUST try Zumba!!! It sounds like just what you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU and ZUMBA changed my life and how I view myself! I'm forever indebted to you and your energy and Zumba love. Thanks for this blog as well, your words are ALWAYS what I need to hear. Thanks for posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well spoken, Allison. I could not agree more. There is something so freeing about being in a zumba class and not everyone may be doing the moves right, but they are having such a good time moving that it doesn't really matter! It's so much fun feeling that freedom- even if it is only for an hour, a couple times a week.
    And I've never come across a class that I've enjoyed more than yours. Truly, honestly, I love your classes the best!
    Always,
    Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sista! I could not agree more. Zumba has changed the way I want to navigate my way through the fitness industry, and it has changed the way I view myself and my entire self image. Huge props to you for being the pioneer here in Utah Valley and bringing Zumba to the masses! I am eternally grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome blog! Thanks for the momentum with Zumba! I'm addicted to something good that helps bring some balance to my life. Zumba gives me some normalcy as a working married man with two small children, and oh, who, by the way, also likes to shake it for an hour a week! Must be the Filipino in me! Thanks!

    Chris f

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! And I totally agree. Especially now that I am just joining the same industry... :) Zumba is awesome. You are awesome. The BEST instructor ever. Honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed with the BEST instructor ever comment... AND also I totally agree with your post!!!! It is so true. ZUMBA love forever!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete